Thursday, December 30, 2010

December Happenings

It has been a couple of years since our family visited Temple Square during the holidays to enjoy the beautiful lights. In looking at the upcoming week of weather (because I can not fight the crowds and freeze my tail off), we decided to make it our Monday night Family Home Evening avtivity - joining thousands of others with the exact same idea! Parking was no small feat. But Dennis has skills! However, we did forget the stroller.

Eli spent most of his time on Dennis' shoulders. Dennis' ears and hair suffered greatly and he is saying that this does not need to be an every year activity. He may have a change of heart when the 2011 Christmas season is underway. We'll see...

The girlies -

The handsome boys - notice Eli already scoping out his next move.

Ah, now that's it. Just me and my man - however, just for a moment because we lost Eli for about 3 minutes right after the picture.

The lights were beautiful and the spirit of Christmas filled our hearts as we walked these sacred grounds of the temple. It was a wonderful reminder of what we really celebrate this time of year - to reflect on the birth and life of our Savior Jesus Christ.

We attended Maren's SSA choir performance at the Provo Tabernacle. It was a wonderful concert as always.

This picture of the girls turned out blurry, but I just loved how they looked with the other instrumentalists and the organ pipes above them. It is such a beautiful building. This blurry picture means more to me now that the Tabernacle is gone. Just a week after this concert, the Provo Tabernacle burned and was gutted by fire.

We have enjoyed several concerts in this beautiful building and feel blessed to have been able to have done so. But I am sad to see this part of Provo's history gone.

I thought that this was pretty amazing. This picture of the Savior's Second Coming hung in the foyer of the Tabernacle and was found among the debris completely charred except the Savior. Just looking at it gives me chills.

Earlier in the month, I attended Natalie's activity day outing (church group of girls ages 8-10) to Temple Square. The sister missionaries gave us a tour of the grounds and visitor's center and we watched the movie 'Luke 2.' We went to the Church Museum of History and Art. We enjoyed seeing some Christmas art on display. One was especially impressive - Brian Kershisnik's Nativity.

Don't mind Natalie - she wasn't really into the picture taking thing that morning. But isn't it a darling group of girls.

Natalie perked up a bit as I let her take some pictures with my camera. Not a bad shot, Natalie.

The girls really wanted to touch the temple. So here they are nearly hugging the temple! And now Natalie is smiling! I was so glad to have gone with this cute group of girls and their magnificent leaders. It was such a contrast with our hustle bustle evening to see the lights. The morning was brisk and clear and I believe we almost had the entire Temple Square to ourselves! It was a beautiful way to start any day!

One of our first snowstorms. Millie was anxious to get out and build a snowman! She did it all by herself!

Maren was cheerful enough to help out our elderly neighbors with their driveway. Eli took his trucks over to help out as well.

The finished product - ok, his face is a bit pitiful. I need to keep some bigger carrots on hand (no baby carrot noses from now on) and a bag full of rocks for eyes and a mouth. But the size of the snowman is impressive for a 6 year old, don't you think?

*Note: Eli did do his boy thing and karate chopped the snowman down not long after this picture. Millie was sad for a few minutes. But all is well - we have another foot of fresh snow today to build another one! :)

1 comment:

Melanie Anne said...

I loved this post! What a beautiful family you have! I loved the temple square lights--we have really missed that. And I am sad to hear about the Provo Tabernacle. What a tragedy--but that picture is amazing. Very cool. Tell Millie we LOVE her snowman! Very impressive. We had a white Christmas this year shockingly:) Happy New Year Quist family!!