My "to do" list is a VERY, very long list. With a freezer full of butter in anticipation of bottling it and a very encouraging enrichment activity teaching us how to bottle meat, I got to work! I have a fear of the pressure canner for some reason...maybe because it was something only my grandma used to do! So I enlisted the help of my trusty sidekick in the kitchen--chef Maren.

Okay -- so bottling butter is not hard at all. We can do this! Just melt it....

And wait....and shake....and wait and shake some more!

Until it finally is consistent throughout. Then put it on your shelf. EASY! And it frees up a ton of freezer space!

Then the scary....the pressure canner. It was a daunting task, but one I wanted to tackle!

It is mostly just time consuming...having to stay right in the kitchen to make sure the pressure stays within range.

With a shelf of butter, ground beef and chicken, I overcame my fear and am ready to do it again! And a big thanks to my friend for letting me borrow her pressure canner! It is now on my "would like to have" list (this list is very long, as well!).

The moral of the story is....bottling butter and meats....not so scary!
9 comments:
Bravo, you brave woman. I have not taken on canning yet and I really have not desire to. But your beautiful pictures make it look like a really cool thing to do. Can I borrow Maren?
Seriously!! You are my hero. I've had a pressure cooker for 5 years, but never even opened the box. Scary stuff on the inside.
So-you don't have to do anything to butter? How does it seal? How long does it keep? One of these days I need you to come up and show me how it's done.
Miss you!
good job! I need more info...I'll be calling!
i would really like to know about canning meat. seriously, can i come down sometime when you do it? how long does it last? info woman, we need more info
Nice work, I have to admit I am jealous. I would love to have bottled butter...I am sure that sounds a little strange. Thanks for your encouraging words, I hope to try this soon:)
Your adventures look so fun. I just can never get over how big your kids are getting! They are just so adorable.
Kaley, I've already told you how awesome you were do to this. Thanks for the pics.
Kaley I am so impressed, and you make it look so easy. I guess I really need to do it.
Hey I'm just checking in to say hi! I cannot believe how big your kids are getting! And I really do want to do this canning butter thing some day! Good for you! It looks like you guys are doing great. I'm so glad!
you go girl!! What an impressive undertaking! Good job! Cute pictures!
Post a Comment